EXCLUSIVE: Trump approves Turkish offer for joint S-400 study group
In call with Turkish president, Trump agrees to body to find ways to cohabit Ankara’s purchase of F-35s and Russian missile system
US President Donald Trump has accepted an offer to form a joint technical study group with Turkey to investigate Washington’s concerns over Ankara’s purchase of the Russian-made S-400 missile system, Middle East Eye has learned.
According to several Turkish officials, Trump, in a phone call with Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan on Wednesday, overruled the Pentagon and the State Department who had been against the study group.
US officials were concerned that Ankara’s purchase of the missile system would put advanced stealth F-35 fighter jets, which Turkey has also ordered, at risk because Moscow could steal sensitive information through the system’s radar.
Confident of their assessment on the dangers posed by the missile system, US defence officials had refused to participate in the study group multiple times over the course of the past two months.
In a single phone call, that policy changed.
The White House and the US Defense Department did not return MEE’s enquiries on the subject.
The move is a major win for Turkish officials who have been claiming that a study group could find ways to cohabit the S-400 and F-35 purchases, which are of central importance to Turkey’s long-term defence needs.
Ankara is part of the F-35 consortium developing the plane and has paid more than $1bn so far for the fighter jets.
In the same call, Erdogan told Trump that the dual Turkish-American citizen and former NASA scientist Serkan Golge was shortly going to be released from jail.
Golge, an alleged member of the group who plotted an attempted coup in Turkey in 2016, had been in custody since late 2016.
Golge was released under judicial control, meaning he is not allowed to leave the country and will have to regularly report to local authorities.
Trump on Thursday thanked Erdogan in front of cameras for facilitating Golge’s release.
Markets reacted positively to the phone call, with the Turkish lira rallying more than two percent against the US dollar on Thursday.
Erdogan, in the phone call to Trump, also reiterated his invitation to the US president for a state visit.
Trump once again accepted the invitation and said he would visit Ankara in July.
The State Department earlier this month opposed the visit due to its timing, saying it would coincide with the arrival of the S-400 missile system to Turkey, which is subject to Congressional sanctions.
The department had suggested Turkey postpone delivery of the system for nine months to help facilitate the visit, however, Turkish officials refused.
Erdogan and his close advisors believed that Trump could use his political leverage to prevent a bilateral crisis over the S-400 purchase.
“Trump has a good relationship with Erdogan. He realises that Turkey cannot step back from its S-400 purchase. Other American officials are differing from him,” a senior Turkish official told MEE earlier this month.
However, there is a consensus among the foreign policy establishment both in Turkey and the US that the White House does not have much power against the members of Congress who are adamant about implementing sanctions against Turkey over the Russian missile system.
Last week, a final draft of the National Defence Authorisation Act barred the transfer of F-35s to Turkey in the case of the purchase of the S-400 missile system.
US legislators also threatened the Trump administration that they could ratify specific laws to target Turkey if the president doesn’t enforce the existing law that invokes sanctions against Ankara.
This article is available in French on Middle East Eye French edition.